2024 is here! We are almost through January, and now is the perfect time to start thinking about changes you can make to become more environmentally conscious. But sticking to new resolutions can sometime seem daunting, and too often we give up before healthy habits are formed. Here are five easy changes you can make for the new year that are easy to stick to and make a huge difference for our planet.
- Kick the bottled water habit-There are more than 2 MILLION tons of discarded water bottle in landfills in the U.S. alone, with the average American using 167 per year. And only 23% of those bottles are recycled. Switching to a reusable bottle and pairing it with a filtering pitcher is an easy change that will reduce waste and could save you as much as $1,400 over the year!
- Remember your reusable bags-Taking reusable shopping bags to the grocery store can cut down on the 1 million plastic bags that end up in the trash every minute. Plastic bags damage recycling equipment and are difficult to recycle and simply do not last. Just keep a stash of reusable bags in your car so you have them the next time you shop.
- Go meatless periodically- Eating less meat and dairy is not only good for you, but is also good for the environment. Going completely meatless is hard for most people, including myself! Trying new meatless meals once a week or even once a month can be a tasty adventure and lower your carbon footprint at the same time.
- Walk or bike instead of drive- Only have a short way to go? Instead of firing up your car, move those legs! It will reduce emissions, save on gas, and provide you with exercise too!
- Brew your own coffee-Giving up coffee house coffee can be hard, I know. But brewing your own can save you money and reduce the amount of waste from cups and sleeves. If you just can’t pass it by, be sure to bring your own reusable cup and ask the shop to use that.
Making big changes can be hard. But making small ones can be easier to stick to, and that will mean a bigger impact over the long haul!