Howard County Recycling District Sharps Recycling Program
The Sharps Recycling Program was developed to:
- Help you properly dispose of your needles and lancets.
- Provide an environmentally safe option for disposing of sharps.
- Prevent injury to humans and animals.
- Keep Sharps out of household trash and recycling bins.
- Prevent the spread of infectious diseases.
- Remove used needles from circulation and prevent the sharing of needles
Simple rules for disposal of sharps the right way:
DO use a container that is puncture resistant and not see through (example: detergent bottle)
DO tape the lid on container and label it “SHARPS” DO keep containers in area that is child and animal proof
DON’T put Sharps in soda cans or bottles, juice bottles, glass containers or milk cartons
DON’T put Sharps containers in your recycling bin.
DON’T flush needles down the toilet
DON’T throw loose needles or lancets into the recycling bin or trash
**This Sharps Recycling Program is for Howard County residents only. We cannot accept materials from any doctor’s offices or health care facilities.**
OTC Medication Disposal
- Vitamins and Supplements
- OTC Creams and Ointments
- Prescription and OTC Aerosol Inhalers
- Prescription Liquid medicines as long as they aren’t controlled
- OTC Liquid medications such as cough syrups and pain relievers
The District can only take materials from Howard County residents. No Loose sharps will be accepted. For the safety of the staff and the safety of our residents, you will NOT be permitted to transfer sharps from one container to another or to place loose sharps into containers on the Recycling District property. Sharps should NEVER be placed in the recycling bins, but should be brought to the Howard County Recycling District office located at 4102 Cartwright Drive in Kokomo.